Shih Tzu Facts
General Shih Tzu Facts
- Shih Tzu dogs originated in Asia
- They were bred to be a companion dog
- Shih Tzu is pronounced “Sheed Zoo” and in Chinese means “lion” dog
- Classified as toy dog breeds by the American Kennel Club
- Has a long luxurious double coat made of hair (like humans)
- Does not shed much, making it a good choice for people with allergies
- Was first recognized by the kennel club in 1946
Shih Tzu Facts on Health Information
- Shih Tzu dogs are sensitive to heat
- Life expectancy is 13-16 years or better
- Prone to ear, eye and respiratory problems
- Prone to spinal problems (best not to let them jump down for high places)
- Tend to lose their teeth easily so must be cleaned on a regular basis
- Main problems known for the Shih Tzu dog breed range from renal dysplasia to hip dysplasia.
- Are generally a healthy breed with few medical problems.
Personality & Behavior
- Shih Tzu dogs are social animals and love to be petted, groomed and played with.
- They are not “yappy” dogs.
- Shih Tzu have been known to snore.
- Shih Tzu are loyal dogs and can be stubborn and come across as arrogant.
- They love to sit on your lap and cuddle
Appearance and Grooming
- The Shih Tzu is a small breed
- Has a long luxurious double coat
- The official breed tandard size should be between 9 and 10 inches and weighs between 9 - 15 pounds.
- They have wide set eyes.
- Long coat needs daily brushing
- Shih Tzu don't have fur, they have hair like humans which they gradually lose while being grooming.
- They make great watch dogs.
So there you have it, the Shih Tzu dog breed in a nutshell.
Hopefully this will give you a general idea of what to expect when deciding on bringing home this beautiful little furbaby into your family
For more detailed information
see our other pages about Shih Tzu dogs.
Let's stay in touch!
Sign up to receive my monthly newsletter for the latest tips, tricks and special deals.
And download your FREE guide to "Everyday Dog Training Tools".
Enter your name and email below, and I’ll see you on the inside!